Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Strategy for a Shower?

When I didn't have kids I didn't realize that showering at any time was such a luxury.  I could wake up (at any time, of course), leisurely shower, or maybe I would have a little breakfast and THEN shower.  Or maybe I'd wait until after the gym.  The possibilities were endless.

I remember hearing new moms make statements about their lack of showering for days at a time.  Either there was no time for it, or they had so many other tasks to complete by the close of the day.

When I was pregnant, I had read so many stories about this that I could imagine Todd coming home from work and me being covered in food, in ripped sweats sitting on the floor exhausted.  In my head I would look up at him, and he would take over so I could take a much needed shower.

With that thought in mind, I decided I would be a mom that would find time for two major tasks eating, and showering.  

Apparently eating wasn't an issue because any time a baby would cry, another piece of chocolate would enter my mouth.  It was like clockwork.

Showering, on the other hand, had to be (and still is) planned the night before.  

1.  The newborn.  Did you know that newborns sleep at least 18 hours a day?  Once we got them on the Moms On Call (who saved our lives) schedule, I knew when I would shower every day.  It was so easy!

2.  The infant.  Two naps.  Easy.  They would go down for the first nap, time for my shower.  I was fresh as a daisy by the time they woke up. 

3.  The toddler.  This is where it has gotten hard.  I always figured it would be hardest with the babies.  But now if I left my girls unattended I would have something or someONE broken by the end.  And they don't nap until the afternoon!  This is where strategy comes into play.  I could wake up EARLY and shower before they wake up.  But seriously?  Who is going to wake up that early on a day off?  

The miracle solution, THE GYM.  We are allowed to have the kids in their "kid's club" for 1.5 hours.  So it shortens my work out a bit, but it lengthens my sleep at night.

I am sure all people that interact with me are as thankful as I am that I am able to shower daily.  We must keep up that membership for sure!!

Can you imagine that showering could take that much thought?  Not I!

Ciao! 

3 comments:

  1. I love them gym idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. being in the infant stage I am unsure yet on how it wis working... today she took 3 15 min naps....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathie,
    I used the Mom's on Call schedule. Online www.momsoncall.com they sell their book. There is an hour by hour schedule for babies, it gets them sleeping through the night with very planned naps during the day. We also had a live consultation (2 hours). It saved Todd and my lives, he said he would have paid $10,000 for it, when the consultation was a couple hundred bucks. Anyway, I refer anyone and everyone to them, they literally put a blessing of calmness on your house. :)

    ReplyDelete